Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep will not stay in lane

Hey guys,
    I have been missing from the forum for a bit but have been on the FaceBook page.
    Anyway, I have a problem. I can not drive down the road straight. Its like im driving drunk. I just had the two front tires installed. they are used but when I went in to have them installed I Had all five wheels balanced. It did not do this before I Had this done. I have gone under it and put a wrench on everything I can think of. I even switched sides with the tires.
    Any help would be great. Im thinking that someone on here has had this problem.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport. 4 inch lift, 37 inch tires, air lockers, Antirock sway bar, rock lights, XRC fenders, XRC bumbers, Warren winch, CB, HAM radio, Currie track bars, upgraded drive lines, CC front fender liners, painted dash vents, after market shifter handles, Rugged Ridge grab handles, rear toolbox, Rugged Ridge tailgate bags....

Have you replaced the ball joints yet?
    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    2010 Deep Ocean Blue JKU sport, 3.5 Metalcloak springs, front upper and lower control arms, and steering stabilizer flip kit, onboard air, JCR Mauler front bumper, BFG 35x12.5" MT\'s on Pro Comp wheels and Rubicon axles.

Comment

Sounds like the tires are bad. Try rotating the front to the back and see if it makes a difference.
      Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
      \'93 YJ

Comment

Originally posted by Sabotage70 post_id=8433 time=1492645923 user_id=6270
        Have you replaced the ball joints yet?
        Not yet. The death wobble was fixed when I balanced the tires.
        2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport. 4 inch lift, 37 inch tires, air lockers, Antirock sway bar, rock lights, XRC fenders, XRC bumbers, Warren winch, CB, HAM radio, Currie track bars, upgraded drive lines, CC front fender liners, painted dash vents, after market shifter handles, Rugged Ridge grab handles, rear toolbox, Rugged Ridge tailgate bags....

Comment

How's the tie rod and alignment? I know my geometry is fairly off and wants to dart around. I haven't taken it to a shop yet since I've changed everything.
          2010 Deep Ocean Blue JKU sport, 3.5 Metalcloak springs, front upper and lower control arms, and steering stabilizer flip kit, onboard air, JCR Mauler front bumper, BFG 35x12.5" MT\'s on Pro Comp wheels and Rubicon axles.

Comment

Death wobble is caused by loose or worn parts. Having a tire out of balance or hitting a bump will put you into death wobble but they are both the cause. Worn ball joints or end joints are a popular cause also loose bolts on control arms. Balancing will hide the problem better but not fix it.
            When you experience death wobble what is happening is a harmonic vibration through your front axle components. A properly assembled front suspension will not allow it to continue even with an off balance tire or from hitting a bump. You would feel the wobble but it wouldn't build into an uncontrolled shudder. When a joint wears out (ball joint, control arm, tie rod end, drag link end) or you have loose bolts in any of those components the wobble is allowed to move instead of being dampened. Once there is free movement the shudder builds on itself and you have to do something like hit the brake to stop it.
            Basically you need to go through each bolt and joint to look for loose parts but I would begin with a wrench on the control arm bolts followed by inspecting ball joints. You can find better explanations on checking them online but you shouldn't get movement up and down or sideways between top and bottom of the tire with it on a jack. It is easy to blow a ball joint and a PIA to replace.
            2012 JK

Comment

Did you get this figured out Travis?
              \'93 YJ

Comment

So, I still have the problem. I put a wrench on the control arms. I do get a little movement from the ball joints. The tun steering looks good, and is tight. I'm just going to have to do the Ball Joints. I know some of you have done them yourselves. I have done a lot of work to my Jeep myself. But I have read so many things about the Ball Joints, that I don't know if I want to do it and find out that I did it wrong or not fix the problem. I would however like it if someone that has done there own, would help me with mine. It might have to be in a couple of paychecks. And I made a promise to Frog that I would spend more time with her then the Jeep. That is hard... lol

Comment

I'll be able to give you a hand.

Comment

Working...
                  X